This post will generate a tweet that will be my 100,000th update with the service. I joined Twitter on 23 Jan 2007, which means that I have 2,285 days of tweeting and a slightly disgusting 43.7 tweets a day. Mind you, this includes conversations — a lot of conversations — and that has jacked up my tweet count pretty high. If you don’t know, I’m @gfmorris.
What do I tweet about?
- Whatever’s on my mind. You know, like when I used to blog about being sick, except shorter.
- I used to have this whole GEOFCON gag. I get complain-y. I do this to blow off steam.
- Going back to whatever’s top of mind: if I am physically present with someone, my tweeting generally grinds to a halt, because the extrovert part of my personality gets all into having someone to engage. I tweet when I’m alone. Clearly I’m alone a lot.
- I really do think out loud on Twitter. Posts for here often come from Twitter. Sometimes, that means that I’m letting half-formed thoughts out there in a brainstorming experiment that makes me look really stupid. Occasionally, I delete things; most of the time, I don’t mind looking daft.
- I tweet a lot about insomnia. I created the #OIT tag for Obligatory Insomnia Tweet. To wit: my 99,999th tweet was about how I didn’t sleep well last night.
- I used tweet a lot about sports on that account. Now I have an account specifically for that. I’m sure that this makes the lives of people who follow me for non-sports-related tweets very, very happy, especially when I start getting angry.
- I have a lot of accounts, but only three that are truly by-me. The third is a private account that I probably won’t give you access to, and it’s the one where the really fun stuff happens, mostly late at night when I am distressed. Anyway.
- But a lot of my tweets show my love for people, I think. I got a lot of that back on 20 Sep 2010 — it kept me going and out of a really bad place.
I’m very thankful for Twitter. Now I can go back to tweeting without caring what post number it was. I’ve been worried for the last month that I’d roll past 100k and not notice.