Yeah, it’s been awhile … and I just didn’t get with the blogging in January. My bad. But here’s what I was listening to:
- Led Zeppelin I. I’d never owned any Zep—despite having appreciated them—so I broke down in December—Josh and I listened to XM Led as we drove around Florida—and bought a bunch via BMG. And by “a bunch”, I mean “every studio album”. Unfortunately, Houses of the Holy was on backorder, so I’ve got a gap [as you’ll see this week], but I started at the beginning, and … I liked it very much. Four stars.
- Lifehouse’s Stanley Climbfall. As I tweeted earlier this week, “Deciding that I just don’t like Lifehouse that much. Jason Wade has great pipes, but nothing else about them moves me … at all. Ah well.” Two-and-a-half stars.
- Andrew Bird’s Armchair Apocrypha. Fantastic, but I haven’t given it enough ear-time; it needs to go on a road trip with me. Four-and-a-half stars.
- Led Zeppelin II. I kept telling myself, “It can’t get better.” It can. Four-and-a-half stars.
- Tom Brosseau’s Cavalier. Now, don’t get me wrong—I love the reedy tenor from North Dakota. I love that he writes sparse records. But this … this is too sparse. It’s dull and uninteresting, and despite the fact that I know it has good songs on it—Brosseau is a clever writer—it just doesn’t hold my interest at all. Two-and-a-half stars [and it kills me to write that].
- Led Zeppelin III. Guys at work have been commenting on me listening to the Zep. [Note: all the guys I work with are late 40s or early 50s.] This is my boss’s favorite Zep record, but it’s not mine. That doesn’t mean that I don’t give it four stars.
- The Weepies’ Say I Am You. I am, how you say, obsessed with this record. I have since bought the other Weepies releases [their iTunes EP and their debut], pre-ordered the one coming out next month, scoured the Internet for bootlegs [only finding two on archive.org], and been considering getting both Deb and Steve’s solo catalogues. And, well, stalking them. Four-and-a-half stars.
Later today I’ll be posting about what I listened to last week.